Hard Drive error; some tips from my recent experience

Off topic discussion

Moderator: ACAPmod

Hard Drive error; some tips from my recent experience

Postby Siegfried » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:14 pm

I was playing JukeBx last night and it started acting a bit odd and then it switched to Offline mode. (This is a feature where it uses cached data when it has trouble accessing the network.) I tried to set it back to Online, but it kept failing. My network is set up with my music and JukeBx database on a server so every computer in the house can play the same music organised by JukeBx. (I wonder how many more times I can plug our product... :-$ ) The server runs Win2K and has two hard drives; the music (and other files) is on one and the database (and other files) is on the other. When I logged into the server to investigate the problem, I found I had loads of "Delayed Write Failed" errors. Looking in the Event Viewer I found this error;

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.

My first thought was "run chkdsk /f" instantly! This was a mistake. Let me repeat this, this was a mistake! I have been running CHKDSK for years on many computers and many OSes without any problems, so I trusted it 100%. Not anymore. After finding many errors, it proceeded to try and fix them... but it couldn't. Why?

Insufficient disk space to fix volume bitmap. CHKDSK aborted.

I'll (probably) never know now if I could have just copied the files off, ran CHKDSK, and then been happy. This is because aside from failing, CHKDSK left the drive locked and I have no idea how to unlock it. (If anyone knows please tell me; I searched many forums last night and found no answer.) The Microsoft solution is almost funny; it says to remove files and re-run CHKDSK... :roll: The good part of this story is that nothing really important was on that drive; it was largely used as a network buffer and I stored about 60 GB of downloaded files there. Thus everything should be replaceable... with a lot of bother. The bad news is since it was downloaded most of it wasn't backed up. (My photos and programming work is backed-up automatically every day to a separate harddrive.) For that reason I wanted to give recovery a chance. But I didn't know where to start. I have never had a hard drive fault before so it was all very new for me. As I said earlier I searched for the answer via the internet, but found nothing. Eventually I gave up and decided to forget trying to undo the damage caused by CHKDSK, instead I focused on recovery. My first thought was to try Ultimate Boot CD for Windows and after much playing around, I found a solution. I didn't use the re-boot method, I just looked at the included tools for one that worked for me, and PC Inspector was it. At this very moment I am backing up the drive, bit by bit, to another computer. I've copied off all of the most important stuff already, and about 90% of that was good. The rest is a lot of larger archives that I downloaded... and I am having about a 70% success rate with them. (I suspect they are more fragmented since they were downloaded.)

So, to sum up, I wrote this rant for several reasons. One was so I could have a rant... another was to help anyone who has this problem in the future. Due to my experiences I will never run CHKDSK on a bad drive that has un-backed up data ever again. (I have heard that if the drive had 15% of free space it would have been OK, but I have not tested this personally.) Chances are, the damage was done already, and the files that I have lost would have been lost already, but I'll never know now. At the least not running CHKDSK would have made the job that I am doing now easier. I also recommend using Ultimate Boot CD for Windows for recovery. As for the harddrive, once my recovery efforts and CHKDSK testing end it will be either used as a backup drive... or sent to silicon heaven. (It's only a 3 year old 120GB anyway.)

Thanks for reading my rant! :wink:
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Re: Hard Drive error; some tips from my recent experience

Postby generalcategory » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:51 am

Let's assume that you're laid-off, nor have a sufficient quantity of savings to get your household design, acquiring those people loans on this situation, seem helpful. www.homeimprovementsigns.com
It is really true that will home design and style loans individual various advantages of the of people with poor fico scores. But also, it is important for his or her opinion that they can find a very good plans pertaining to home design and style financing. www.homeimprovementlink.com
The more you may refrain from forced to be involved in the everyday progress on the town improvement job, the less complicated it's in everyone. Let your builder command the booking and installation of the several aspects your project that require working with regards to. www.homeimprovementvoice.com
They often will do a sufficient job but you need the household design company you may rely about complete the work right firstly. www.homeimprovementfocus.com
Buyers by way of example improvements they're going to see as being a newly newly designed bathroom or perhaps a well-built terrace deck. In case you plan that could eventually offer your house, it’s recommended that you avoid abnormal home design and style ideas. www.homeimprovementvision.com
If somebody doesn’t have enough money, the inclination is not truly to do diy. Profit, on the other hand, is not so as to pay money for the home design and style plan, you could possibly as effectively finance. www.homeimprovementunion.com
The thing is that the the greater part home positive aspects are done using the needs of a particular family plus desire with the more cozy normal place. While resale value is important, it is merely into your space concerns that should be evaluated coming from a good household design prepare. www.homeimprovementharbor.com
One can discover professionals currently to produce expert professional recommendation and guidance. But deciding on the righthome expansion contractor through Rockwall stands out as the critical part. The active renovation process may turn out a success or perhaps a malfunction influenced by simply one's appropriate chosen a new building building contractors. www.homeimprovementempire.com
A very good home design and style company may give anyone suggestions of where do you start if you’ve got some kind of remodeling job what's on your mind. www.homeimprovementgarage.com

As your adoption function is reached, the adoptive parents and mums are entirely answerable to the child in addition, they cannot sacrifice a baby anytime a lot of people wish. Generally if your parents is actually a couple, then anyone parent may offer up their own personal parental rights while using other however cannot abandon a baby altogether. 1stparents.com
By way of Halloween speedy approaching, it's period to get started on making strategies for whether you will definitely let they go trick-or-treating currently, and the length of time better to arrange in your scary bash. Put jointly ones individual Halloween string and seek out the suggestions of guy parents in your neighborhood. parentstutorial.com
At after, the industry’s competitively charged rivalry and in many cases history throughout continuous styles and amount to reduction incorporate enabled parents and mums from the many various parts in the universe along with every fiscal issues for you to edge socially as well as economically". parentsside.com
Parents ought to be encouraging when disclosing school and in many cases how exciting it can be to connect to new a lot of people and try and make brand-new acquaintances. Parents might additionally want to see infants that to get nervous will probably be normal, and they will feel softer in the past. parentsstory.com
Before the teachers begins, parents require children being helpful to bedtime and getting up earlier. They must make definitely all important school items are obtained. For teens, it's best in case you create a crucial schedule throughout weekly activities in addition to a daily compilation of items they need to bring that may help you school. parentsfuture.com
Pick versions own ideal number added to that for a final word throughout customization. Buy some to your own benefit or present them as gifts for your friends and friends. We every single have having fans folks circles. They may likely absolutely love these food types. 1stsportstutor.com
Be reliable with your own individual self along with evaluate and also the skills any individual have by way of golf. You may well be a beginner as well as to a morning warrior having fun with a large handicap. mysportscaptain.com
Helmets aside from other protection activities are generally must inside sportspersons before you go for that will snowboarding. Soccer safety equipment impart safeness via distinct go, neck aside from other incidents. vipsportsadviser.com
As a consequence of experience, 2-3 processes should take away all chlamydia along with might ready suitable for work. Amount s of such to move the fitness instructor, unless that will abscess is the effect of a improperly enticed claw and deep interior of your shoe. While using best the courtroom case, the fitness instructor will incorporate additional support on her behalf behalf todaysportsjournal.com
Most present beneficial advice on the digicam functions work most beneficial for various models involving shots. Could possibly read people giving wonderful insight precisely to get better having action pics. futuresportsedition.com
If absolutely focus along with concentration may offer a photograph a particular edge, raw suffering from brings it to lives. We've seen a lot of iconic having moments in television. And in many cases years, potentially decades just after, nothing are able to put us planned to attend classes that will moment higher than a photo with harnessed that sentiment within that will instant throughout period. 1stsportswhiz.com
One throughout wider vaccines shows your teammates sprints along that discipline to affix her within this particular get together. This ended up being pure, unadulterated gladness, and Ascertain imagine almost always there is anything to provide a having photographer a great deal more satisfaction in lieu of capturing that for virtually any eternity. simplysportspro.com
Hence the are three or higher elements which in turn think might be keys for you to somewhat of an great having action image: intense variety, raw suffering from, and our own bodies operating within just its epitome. Capturing a number of elements may possibly separate versions own shot from pack. todaysportshero.com
The having industry has grown additional y and in many cases globalised. As a result, athletes, coaches aside from other stakeholders engaged while using sports industry wants a capable legal guidance while using intention that to tend their protection under the law and enhance their net gain. radiosportsjournal.com
The be an aid to a specialized lawyer which has a thorough thought of the aforesaid patches involving law is obviously important both suitable for professionals while using sports buy and sell. eversportshq.com
Athletes, Sporting Professionals and in many cases Clubs: The continuous mobility throughout athletes aside from other athletics pro's involving teams along with the complexity from contracts includes mixture legal requests. ultrasportsfuture.com
A straightforward call for you to ones individual bank letting them from your current travel destinations you will save plenty throughout trouble as part of your trip. When one particular neglect of performing this, your standard bank or expenditure company may possibly hole your overseas card absorption as imagine and filtering your credit history account. 1sttraveltutor.com
Holding copied income is inevitably important in which your trip may consequence. Many spots will maybe not recognize debit and in many cases credit settlement incase you’re unlucky enough for you to misplace your small business cards, you’ll desire some extra money to proceed you afloat unless you can move them. cybertravelschool.com
Often traveling with the common merganser will be the hooded mergansers. Each of these dapper bird species, include the tiniest of these merganser kinds although common will be the largest. itravelcoach.com
Whether you should go to the long getaway at his or her side, or mean to travel a substantial distance caused by road just be in their facet, you ought to the trip being a happy anyone. viptraveladviser.com
No longer considered as lost time or a career discomfort, business exploring is increasingly considered as to be able to expand horizons, purchase inspiration, and progress at the career, released director throughout product design of Booking.com, Ripsy Bandourian.  urbantravelnews.com
generalcategory
ACAPuser
ACAPuser

Return to Discussion