Forced Upgrade

Topics that don't belong in the other categories....

Moderator: ACAPmod

Forced Upgrade

Postby Siegfried » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:30 am

I was busy checking my EMail yesterday morning when suddenly the world went dark. At first I thought Ragnarök had struck at last, but no, my computer had died. For about 2.5 years I've been using a Lenovo 3000 J110 7393 (Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8 GHz 2 GB RAM) and I've been rather happy with it. Early analysis indicated that the motherboard was dead so I needed to rush out and buy a new one. (I have many computers but most are allocated, old or unsuitable things like my Acer Aspire One netbook.)

While this is a substantial annoyance and will push back schedules overall it's a good thing. I've been wanting to buy a new machine for a while but I've been holding off as I was so satisfied with the Lenovo. Unlike many I've been running Vista and liking it so upgrading to Windows 7 hasn't been reason enough. I ended up with an Acer Aspire X1800 mostly as I've been very happy with my Acer Aspire One netbook and so far the impressions are good.

One thing about the X1800 in particular really impressed me was the dual screen support. I've been running dual screens for over 5 years now so after the initial setup plugging in the second was a priority. Going by past experience this was a slight concern to me. My X1800 has a Core 2 Duo processor, 4 GB of RAM, a NVIDIA GeForce 7100 and the nForce 630i chipset. The video card has a HDMI and DVI port... and that's what concerned me. I didn't have time to buy a HDMI->DVI adaptor and normally when a machine has a graphic card the on board video is not usable... and thus the VGA port may not work. But to my surprise it was possible to enable it via the BIOS and use both "cards" at once. Next week I'll probably buy an adapter, but it's nice to know I can do it. I've never actually encountered this so I'll have to see if it's a common feature now.

In any case, now the programming and testing will be done on Windows 7, not Vista... and this machine is running in 64 bit mode so we'll be able to consider 64 bit versions as well. Already a minor glitch has been noted with GigAlarm which should be easy to resolve now. First impressions of Windows 7 are mostly positive, but it's still early days. As I had already heard, the default UAC setting was mostly useless so I set that to maximum.

(Hopefully I can fix the Lenovo; most of my computers last 5+ years... :cry: There were a few warning signs though; the sound was losing a channel from time to time, my display drivers kept crashing over the previous few days and it needed a second push to resume the night before. )
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Re: Forced Upgrade

Postby rainahuang » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 am

Heart And Soul Bonds Wholesale dead sheep shoe Boots
Our lives are greeted by different types of relationships. Some fun, some cozy and intimate, some crazy and adventurous, some inseparable. Nevertheless, new balance pas cherthere are also other type of connections, moncler saldi which transcend these. ACAPsoft chaussures These are the heart and soul bonds. Scarpe ACAPsoft uomoOne does not need to talk or exchange messages but still there is a knowing or a feeling of the other person. pandora jewelry Here the channels of heart and soul connection are alive. louboutin pas cher chine
We have all experienced this at some moments in life. dead sheep shoe bottes FemmeLike when you are wishing to eat a special dish and without saying a word your mother/father/housemate makes it for you. When you have suddenly thought of a friend and felt as though she was not ok nice ACAPsoft shoes and you call to say hi, you discover she is going through a tough patch. Wholesale dead sheep shoe BootsThe electricity you feel running through your body when you connect with someone so profoundly. scarpe ACAPsoft runningThe time when you meet someone in your dreams and it feels so real. When you look deeply into someone's eyes and you just know their true essence. Wholesale dead sheep shoe BootsWhen your spouse has a stomachache and u can feel the sympathy pain. new balance saleWhen you think of someone and then suddenly they call you unexpectedly and you say “Hey! I was just thinking of you!” When you are thinking about something and the next moment your friend talks about the same thing - almost completing your statements. ACAPsoft Air Max new balance femme
We share them with a few people in our lives; we can actually share them with more. It sounds ridiculous. However, it exists for each one of us.
rainahuang
ACAPregular

Return to Misc