GigAlarm Mute Speakers

Postby aasoftwr » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:18 pm

1. Set a GigAlarm sound alarm
2. Forget the speakers are muted
2'. Or, forget the volume too low

Can GigAlarm fix it?
aasoftwr

Postby Siegfried » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:16 am

Currently no. This is something that has personally caught me out once before too!

I'll look into it.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Re: GigAlarm UNMute Speakers - and Raise Volume

Postby sndrdg » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:50 pm

I had just made a similar request today - then discovered this forum - and the unfortunate answer to this request.

Since this post is stale (Apr. 2009) - I decided to look for and implement my own workaround. Although - I still believe that such functionality is essential and should be built in.

Instructions for a 64bit Vista:
1) First Obtain the Freeware Utility called nircmd available from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html
2) Place the nircmd.exe utility in a directory of your choice.
3) Select and Right Click the nircmd.exe and then Choose "Properties"
4) The select the "Compatibility" Tab - then choose from the drop down - "Run This Program in compatibility mode" WINDOWS XP (Service Pack 2)
properties.jpg
These compatibility steps may not be required for x86 architectures.
properties.jpg (26.49 KiB) Viewed 13519 times

5) Create an empty text file (ie. C:\yourdirectory\unmute.bat) and place the following two commands in the file:
C:\yourdirectory\nircmd.exe setsysvolume 65535
C:\yourdirectory\nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 0
6) As Gigalarm supports at least two alarm actions -
Action A:
"RUN FILE" C:\yourdirectory\unmute.bat
Action B:
"Sound File"
event.jpg
event.jpg (25.45 KiB) Viewed 13519 times

Good Luck - and I look forward to seeing the developer include such functionality in the future.

Regards,

Doug
Windows® Vista® Ultimate SP2 64-bit {EN}
Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9400 / Memory: 4GB
Integrated High Definition Audio Device
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (v.260.99)
GigAlarm v1.35 Beta 3
sndrdg

Postby Siegfried » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:09 pm

That's a nice workaround, and it's one of the major reasons why the multiple actions function was added. I do agree that a unmute/change volume function would be useful and I'll make it a priority for the next version. (One is currently in progress so it can be part of that.) It's important to note that this will need to be an option that's off by default; many users would be annoyed if a program overrides their sound settings. I personally have used the mute function on a computer to ensure that an upcoming alarm didn't disturb me. Also, it's not a complete solution anyway; many computers have external speakers that need to be powered on physically.

I think the ideal solution would be for there to be two main options; unmute and raise volume. Raising to maximum does seem a bit risky to me due to the potential for speaker damage on many systems so I'd probably go for 80% to make it more universally useful. Another option that I think would be good would be to put things back the way they were afterward! But I'll probably skip that for now.

I'll see if I can have something in under a month.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby Siegfried » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:07 am

I've got something working that can do much the same as nircmd.exe, but like nircmd.exe it needs the Compatibility mode enabled to work on the master volume for Vista and later. I'm working on a Vista+ solution now.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Re: GigAlarm Mute Speakers

Postby sndrdg » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:12 am

Sounds good - I look forward to an integrated solution. Thanks !

Doug
GigAlarm v1.35 Beta 3
sndrdg

Postby Siegfried » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:46 am

sndrdg wrote:Sounds good - I look forward to an integrated solution. Thanks !

Doug

There's a new Beta out that should do what you want. Please tell me what you think.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Re:

Postby sndrdg » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Siegfried wrote:
sndrdg wrote:Sounds good - I look forward to an integrated solution. Thanks !

Doug

There's a new Beta out that should do what you want. Please tell me what you think.

Tested your v1.35 Beta 3 - and the "unmute" and "set volume" functions are working properly here. (a thought for a future versions - give us the ability to set the volume percentage ourselves)

Thanks for incorporating this feature so quickly - how's that for a responsive developer !

PS - v1.35 Beta 3 didn't break any prior functionality on my setup - This is good too !.

Regards,

Doug
GigAlarm v1.35 Beta 3
sndrdg

Postby Siegfried » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:05 pm

sndrdg wrote:Tested your v1.35 Beta 3 - and the "unmute" and "set volume" functions are working properly here. (a thought for a future versions - give us the ability to set the volume percentage ourselves)

Thanks for testing it and yes, that will happen in the next version. There's a few ways to handle it in Vista+ and I wanted to add it without too much trouble. I'm unclear, for example, at this stage if there is much variance in the implementation from system to system and I'd like to do more testing first.

sndrdg wrote:PS - v1.35 Beta 3 didn't break any prior functionality on my setup - This is good too !.

:lol: Yeah, that's always a good thing, and it can be hard to achieve sometimes. In the 1.3 version GigAlarm was heavily redesigned for easier feature additions without affecting existing code, but these things can still happen. So far I'm seeing no problems though.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Return to GigAlarm