GigAlarm: Upgrade to 1.34 problems

Alarm / Reminder / Scheduler with hibernate and suspend resume. GigAlarm Page

Moderator: ACAPmod

GigAlarm: Upgrade to 1.34 problems

Postby Mister E » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:01 am

Hello! I've been using GigAlarm 1.282 for about three years but the Away Mode function of 1.33 caught my eye. So I dowloaded the latest version, v1.34, and upgraded. But nothing works! It tells me "Unable to open or create database" and none of my alarms are shown.

What should I do?
Mister E
ACAPuser
ACAPuser

Postby Siegfried » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:17 am

As is says in the ReadMe...

If GigAlarm is already installed and it is a version after 1.2 then you will to install Version 1.303 first if you want to use your old alarm database. For versions after 1.3 it is OK to install on top.

Since you're running a version prior to 1.3 you need to upgrade your database. Unfortunately to do this you'll need to install GigAlarm 1.303 and it's the only available version with the ability to do upgrades. Here is the procedure;

1. Close GigAlarm
  2. Install GigAlarm 1.303 (There's no need to remove the previous version)
  3. Start GigAlarm
  4. Re-enter your old code (1.303 uses the old code system)
  5. Agree to the upgrade

6. Close GigAlarm
  7. Install GigAlarm 1.34 (There's no need to remove the previous version)
  8. Start GigAlarm
  9. Re-enter your new code
Sorry that it's so complicated. The code system change has made the procedure more messy that we'd like, so we are considering making a separate upgrader.

In case you're curious, Versions 1.3 and later use a completely different file format and database structure. There was an upgrade routine added to 1.3 -> 1.303, but it was removed in 1.31 as it was a substantial performance burden. (This affected GigAlarm even after the DB was upgraded, hence the desire to remove it.) Without the upgrade GigAlarm cannot read the alarm database and thus will fail and display what you are seeing now. (It can't create one as that would involve deleting your existing one.)

In case you are wondering why it does what it does, this is to give you a chance to change the DB location, which is accessed via the Options window. Aside from that there isn't much you can do with a database-less GigAlarm.

If you decide you don't like the new version, the old un-upgraded database is preserved in a file called "sGigDatPrv.lbf". Thus to go back to the old version you close GigAlarm, delete the "dGigAlm.dat" and "sGigAlm.dat" files, rename the "sGigDatPrv.lbf" file to "sGigAlm.dat", and then re-install the old version. (Backing up all files prior to doing this would be prudent. :wink: )
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby Mister E » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks! I tested it out and it all worked as advertised.

Siegfried wrote:If you decide you don't like the new version, the old un-upgraded database is preserved in a file called "sGigDatPrv.lbf". Thus to go back to the old version you close GigAlarm, delete the "dGigAlm.dat" and "sGigAlm.dat" files, rename the "sGigDatPrv.lbf" file to "sGigAlm.dat", and then re-install the old version.

Useful to know, but I shouldn't need to do that. :D
Mister E
ACAPuser
ACAPuser

Return to GigAlarm