Suggested GigAlarm modification: more accurate Next Repeat

Alarm / Reminder / Scheduler with hibernate and suspend resume. GigAlarm Page

Moderator: ACAPmod

Suggested GigAlarm modification: more accurate Next Repeat

Postby TomGudan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:15 am

It would be nice if "Next Repeat" would give the actual date and time the alarm will be repeated.

Say I have an alarm which is repeated every hour on the hour and I am away from my computer all morning until 10:57 AM. At that time the alarm will display "Next Repeat: 1 Hours" even though the actual repeat is just a few minutes away at 11:00 AM. It would be nice if the alarm displayed "Next Repeat: 11:00 AM" instead.

A "Random Within" alarm will display something like "Next Repeat: between 1 and 3 days" even though the list of alarms shows the exact timestamp when the alarm will actually repeat.

Since the actual repeat timestamp must be computed when the alarm pops up, could the actual repeat timestamp be used within the "Next Repeat" displays?
TomGudan
ACAPuser
ACAPuser

Postby Siegfried » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:58 am

TomGudan wrote:Say I have an alarm which is repeated every hour on the hour and I am away from my computer all morning until 10:57 AM. At that time the alarm will display "Next Repeat: 1 Hours" even though the actual repeat is just a few minutes away at 11:00 AM. It would be nice if the alarm displayed "Next Repeat: 11:00 AM" instead.

Well I wouldn't be very for instead, I'd be more for as well as I personally like the repeat time to be shown. It actually shouldn't be too hard a modification actually since any changes should only affect the alarm window itself, but there could be some special problems with Random.

TomGudan wrote:Since the actual repeat timestamp must be computed when the alarm pops up, could the actual repeat timestamp be used within the "Next Repeat" displays?

Actually it's worked out after the alarm is shown but It wouldn't be obvious from watching. What happens is;

Alarm Time happens -> Separate Process created to handle alarm window -> Action if set -> Show Window -> Tell main program that window is waiting for user -> Execute next alarm if another due, if not reset all past alarms that have repeats set -> Display updated list

Thus there could be several seconds between the alarm window being shown and the alarms next time being calculated. This isn't a big problem for consistently repeating alarms, but it is a problem for random ones. It would need to be done later in that case, and each time there is an exclusion there are potential complications. Also, in the case of alarms with the "Ignore Time If Time Missed" setting, the time will not always be accurate if, for example, the computer is hibernated.

But it'll be looked into and I'll post here any progress.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Return to GigAlarm