Problems changing back to ver 1.282

Alarm / Reminder / Scheduler with hibernate and suspend resume. GigAlarm Page

Moderator: ACAPmod

Problems changing back to ver 1.282

Postby bufordputzer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:24 am

After trying Gigalarm 1.3 for a short period, I've decided I don't like version 1.3 very well. It is not as simple and a little more cumbersome than earlier version. I uninstalled ver 1.3 and tried reinstalling ver 1.282 but when I go to start it up, I get error messages. First error on start; data corruption, but files should be ok. Click new alarm, error and program closes.
I realize there is no support for earlier versions, but I don't care about that. I just want the simplicity of the earlier version. I also realize that there is a difference in program format and data is not interchangeable between these two versions. That's OK. I was simply going to reenter the alarms that I had set in earlier version.
Any chance of getting this straightened out, so that I can get earlier version working again?
bufordputzer

Re: Problems changing back to ver 1.282

Postby Siegfried » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:44 am

The short answer is yes. When GigAlarm upgrades to 1.3 it creates a backup of the old version as a file labled sGigDatPrv.lbf. If you open your data directory it should be there. Try doing this;

• Close GigAlarm
  • Copy all contents to another folder. (This is for safety.)
  • Delete all files except for sGigDatPrv.lbf, dReg.txt and dLog.txt,
  • Copy sGigDatPrv.lbf and rename it as sGigAlm.dat.
  • Start GigAlarm
It should then create a new data file and your old alarms will be as they were prior to the upgrade. If you can't find sGigDatPrv.lbf simply deleting sGigAlm.dat and sGigAlm.dat should solve your problem, but all alarms will be lost.

In regard to not liking the new version, is that because of the new details window?
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby bufordputzer » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanks Siegfried for the retro info for previous version. If your details question is related to the menu view option that now requires more action to switch between the main, repeat and extra windows, the answer is yes. It's a nice touch if one wants to do some extra switching between modes, but I prefer the simplicity of the previous version single window mode with all the alarm adjustment criteria on one screen. Anyway, thanks for responding with the info. I will try it out and see how it works.
bufordputzer

Postby Siegfried » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:29 pm

bufordputzer wrote:If your details question is related to the menu view option that now requires more action to switch between the main, repeat and extra windows, the answer is yes. It's a nice touch if one wants to do some extra switching between modes, but I prefer the simplicity of the previous version single window mode with all the alarm adjustment criteria on one screen.

Thanks. This has been a common complaint and something will be done to resolve this ASAP. If my solution doesn't work for you please be sure to complain!
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby bufordputzer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:39 pm

Hello again Siegfried
I've noticed one other issue that I wonder if you have noticed or paid attention to. I like to use random files from my c:\windows\media folder for alarms so that when an alarm goes off, it plays many different sounds. Currently GigAlarm does not seem to retain or make default a folder that I enter. Both the current version and previous version are the same. I have to enter the full path to the folder every time I set an alarm. Is there a way to create a default folder for GigAlarm to retain?
bufordputzer

Alarm Defaults

Postby Siegfried » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:51 am

bufordputzer wrote:Hello again Siegfried
I've noticed one other issue that I wonder if you have noticed or paid attention to.

Have you tried using the Alarm Defaults function? It enables you to set default actions and options.

Options->Alarms->Alarm Defaults->Normal->Set
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Return to GigAlarm