JukeBx feature request - AutoRate

Want more from us? Ask here!

Moderator: ACAPmod

JukeBx feature request - AutoRate

Postby muzzy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:53 am

You have a great rating system in your JukeBx player!

But I think it would be even better by adding autorate feature. That's how i see it:

1. If user is skipping the song(pressing next) - rating is lowered 1 step
2. Each time the song was listened completely - rating is upped(optional or we need 0.1 steps or you can collect playscount to adjust the rating)
3. If user is adding volume during song is played - rating is upped 0.1 step

Thanks
muzzy
ACAPuser
ACAPuser

Postby Siegfried » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks! Interestingly in the initial design of JukeBx that was a planned feature, but it was found that the rating system worked well enough, especially once the Quick-Link feature was added. I personally am not sure if would use an auto-rate system.

However, it's actually not too hard to add for the most part... although the volume part could be. (It's not always implemented the same.) I'm not sure how much you know about the actual way that the JukeBx ratings work (it isn't a secret and the exact values can be changed by the user), but by default they are like this;

Rating - Points
1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 4
4 - 8
5 - 16
6 - 32
7 - 64
8 - 128
9 - 256
10 - 512

Thus as you can see it's relatively easy to add partial points once a song is rated high enough. There actually is a almost finished version that's being tested. It has several new features including the ability to buffer music if using a network share. Your request wouldn't be too hard to at least partially implement.

On a side note, what I want to add is a auto-space feature that, taking into consideration rating and play count, re-rates all songs so the ratings are evenly used. I try to rate songs as 9 or 10, but I don't do enough so I find that once I set a song as 10 I start hearing it too much so I want it de-rated. If I could re-rate all songs at once it'd prevent that...
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Re: JukeBx feature request - AutoRate

Postby muzzy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:07 am

Thank you for reply!

Yes, i know how your rating system works. It is exactly described here http://acapsoft.com/rm.php?prog=JukeBx#JukeBx%20Internals

Now i am installing a pc in my car and i'm going to use your player in it. It will not be easy to manualy set ratings in a car while driving so autorate feature will be a great help for me. I will use <next> button on steering wheel control to skip unlikely songs.

For autorate to work transparently it needed to be able to step up and step down ratings. I think that minimum set that will work is:

1. Step down rating for each skip(next button)
2. Step up rating for several(adjustable) plays (i.e. 3 complete plays -> step up 1 rating)

Thus after some time of playing ratings will be automaticly and transparently set to the values most suitable for the user likes.

Thanks!
muzzy
ACAPuser
ACAPuser

Postby Siegfried » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:12 am

muzzy wrote:Yes, i know how your rating system works. It is exactly described here http://acapsoft.com/rm.php?prog=JukeBx#JukeBx%20Internals

Wow! Someone read the ReadMe! :lol: I'll see what can be done and I'll post any updates here. It'll be at least a few weeks though as there are two programs in the pipeline already.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby muzzy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi Siegfried!

How is your progress on JukeBx? I have found your beta version here http://acapsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83#p171 - JukeBx 1.4 Beta 3
Does it includes an autorate feature already?

Looking forward for new release of JukeBx!
muzzy
ACAPuser
ACAPuser

Postby Siegfried » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:13 am

muzzy wrote:How is your progress on JukeBx?

Not good sorry to say. We're in the last stages of a (physical) move, so not much programming has been going on for weeks.

muzzy wrote:I have found your beta version here http://acapsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83#p171 - JukeBx 1.4 Beta 3
Does it includes an autorate feature already?

No, that's a year old Beta. The plan was to have a new Beta out prior to the move, but we ran out of time. It is our top priority at the moment though; this version has been in Beta too long!
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby Siegfried » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:52 pm

The current Beta has an option called "Auto-Rate". Currently it does nothing... but it will!

Implementing the feature has been harder than expected. The feature itself is easy, but the updates themselves require access to the DB roughly every 4 minutes. This is a problem as we've been trying to make JukeBx as independent as possible so multiple copies of the program will run without problem from the same database. To solve this problem we're looking into caching the updates, and that's the hard part.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby Siegfried » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:03 am

JukeBx 1.4 Beta 7 has a working AutoRate. I'll discuss the latest Beta more in the JukeBx 1.4 topic.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby muzzy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi Siegfried!

I see you have a great progress here! Thank you for your work!
I am so tired listening to (and skiping) unwanted songs in my car!

Thanks!
muzzy
ACAPuser
ACAPuser

Postby Siegfried » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:59 pm

muzzy wrote:Hi Siegfried!

I see you have a great progress here! Thank you for your work!
I am so tired listening to (and skiping) unwanted songs in my car!

Thanks!

My pleasure! Sorry that things have taken so long. I think the final version should be out this week.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Return to Requests