812 Gears, Axels & Bricks

Set reviews

Moderators: ACAPmod, LEGOmod

812 Gears, Axels & Bricks

Postby Siegfried » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:07 am

Set: 812 Gears, Axels & Bricks
Year: 1974

This is a set that I have long tried to find for a good price, and recently I bought a near-perfect copy on eBay for around $20 AUD! (Currently around $15 USD.)

As a kid I had a copy of Ideas Book 222, and the last few pages featured models using parts from this set. (You can find the whole Idea Book on Peeron.) These gears were one of LEGOs first attempts of adding advanced function to models and I at last know first hand that they are actually quite good. In many ways the parts in this set are superior to the latter gears. Anyway, on to the review!

Part 1 : Parts

It's interesting to look at this photo; it's not very well taken by todays standards. It is however great to see the real part rather than a drawing.

This box is great for presentation, but horrid in use; the axels keep sliding under the foam. I'll be moving this to another container soon.

The complete set. In mine I had a few extras, but I'm not sure if they come with it so I didn't show them.

These are the small gears. The set came with six. Aside from gears, they have another purpose...

...the hub of the old large wheels. (Not included in this set, or this purchase. Oddly I bought those with another eBay lot that had no gears...) The idea seems weird to me...

...but once you get them in they look good. You wouldn't have much hub slippage with these!

The rest of the gears. This is all you get from the set... and all I have. The yellow gear has some usable studs on top, but the ones on the blue are only good for 2x2 pieces without the central tube. The holes are the same size as standard axels, but are not good for pins as they are about 20% too short. Thus half pins don't lock, and full pins wobble.

One of the special features that these gears have is a thin piece of metal that locks the gear onto the axel. It was hard for me to show this in a photo, but after many attempts here it is!

Each axel has a small notch at the end that aligns with this...

...making brushes at the end of gears less necessary.

There were no beams at this stage, all LEGO offered was this Multipurpose Holy Block.

This set also featured the first LEGO universal joint...

...as well as the first tracks.

Oddly, this set also has metal motor->gear pieces. I would have thought it would make more sense to include these in the motor sets... but I'm not complaining!

Part 2 : Applications

First off, I made a ride, similar to what's shown in Ideas Book 222 on page 78 and 79.

This model uses most of the parts, including the universal joints.

I have a 12V transformer (cost me $10 AUD on eBay!) so I plugged it in and wound it up to full power!

Wheee! I connected the motor via the metal pieces as the plans ask. It was a lot stiffer than I expected but it worked well. Even so, sliding the plastic brushes down the metal shaft made me cringe, and not in a good way. (If that sentence excites anyone then I suggest you get out more...)

Next, I made a helicopter, similar to what's shown in Ideas Book 222 on page 78 and 79.

This model also uses the wheels. (The rubber bands are official but not included.)

This model was highly fragile during assembly. Once together it holds OK, but pressing it together was a dangerous experience...

The gear train highlights the flexibility of the pieces. Like the newer bevelled gears, these can be used at a 90 degree angle. However, due to their longer teeth, these don't slip and you don't need to be so precise in the positions. How far you can push this I don't know; I'm not prepared to do destructive testing to determine the gear strength! Due to the re-enforced hubs I would expect the teeth to break first.

The tail connection relies on the inverse stud shape of the brushing; this technique seems to have fallen out of favour at LEGO...

The universal joints are used here, but only as joiners. Note the rear axel is elevated to prevent it running away!

I made a video of this model and you can find it here.

Last up, I made a simple track demonstration.

To avoid cringing I used plastic axels not the metal pieces. Assembling this was a lot harder than I expected. Due to the long teeth you need to position the tracks more accurately than you need to with later types. Thus it took me a while to find what size I needed to make what. For this reason the design is just a strong block.

The tracks have two studs and thus are too wide to sit flush. The track is has good grip and much quieter than I expected. I made a video of this one as well, and you can find it here.

Overall thoughts

Well, my normal ranking system makes little sense with this set, so I'll give it a miss. But I will say that this is a great set, and I'll be sure to try to find more parts like this. It's a shame that the gears are so colourful as it does limit their use somewhat, and their relative rarity will make me reluctant to use them in any way that could damage them.

I give this set 10/10!
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Re: 812 Gears, Axels & Bricks

Postby panistefanin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:46 am

Super!! What a retro!
alternative ccleaner
panistefanin
ACAPuser
ACAPuser

Re: 812 Gears, Axels & Bricks

Postby rainahuang » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:12 am

"Sports shoes is the best people wearing sports shoes, sports shoes scarpe ACAPsoft zapatillas ACAPsoft mujer ACAPsoft air jordan uomo for a variety of venues in the Mercedes-Benz will bring sports shoes were sweat soaked, or shoes to help the surface stained with dust and other ACAPsoft air footscape conditions. Then a pair of louboutin talon 16 cm sports shoes to how to do maintenance work? New sports shoes how to maintain it?

The cleaning of sports shoes and sports shoes maintenance is not just chaussures ACAPsoft air water rinse so simple. Most of the raw materials of synthetic shoes are synthetic polymer materials (mostly polyester nylon mesh and non-woven artificial leather, soles are made of rubber or rubber foam material), some vamps for the leather, so avoid contact ACAPsoft air max flyknit louboutin pas cher with organic Reagents and grease solution, but not even in the high environment for a long time wearing. General use or washing temperature shall not be higher than 45 food intake. When the shoes louboutin hauteur talon 140mm wear dirty, you can use water dipped polyvore girls setsACAPsoft yeezy 350 boost in detergent gently scrub, and then rinse with water, placed ventilated cool place to dry, to avoid direct sunlight. Do not use warm air or fire to dry, so as to avoid aging, open plastic, fade and serious deformation. Washing can not be a long time soaking, the scarpe ACAPsoft donna general soaking time shall not exceed 2 hours.
????Sports shoes maintenance but also do the insoles (insole) of the clean-up, then what methods? First, basically should try to avoid cleaning the insole. If there is smell, you can put out the insole chaussures ACAPsoft and placed in the air smooth and smooth air, or even use shoes to remove odor odor. Second, if the situation is bad, the underwear can be washed under the faucet and soft brush with a soft brush, do not use any clean economy, otherwise the layer of cloth may fall off. Third, placed in the air smooth and smooth air, do not use the hot air or dry hair with a hair dryer forced to dry the insoles, or insoles may be variant.
""

"
rainahuang
ACAPregular

Return to Reviews