The last defence of Outpost 7709 vs the pirates from Strife

My Own Constructions

Moderators: ACAPmod, LEGOmod

The last defence of Outpost 7709 vs the pirates from Strife

Postby Siegfried » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:42 pm

Yeah yeah yeah, I got my butt kicked in the Hinckley vs. Sinner Smackdown #2,; but I still liked what I made! :-P Thus I am here to rant about it! I decided from the start that I was going to do a ship and a destroyed base. The base would use the orange and yellow pieces, plus the blue canopies, and the ship would use the rest. I wanted to do a curved ship due to the large amount of cylinders that the Town House set had. My original idea was for the whole ship to be curved; however I couldn't make a cockpit that I liked. I then decided to dodge the issue and design a cockpit that I liked, and then try to integrate it. That proved harder than planned as I had trouble deciding on what to use between the top and bottom. Eventually I decided to use the big triangles, which then forced me to make the front a set width, and that then prompted me to add the wings which I felt carried on the design from the front. Then I integrated the back and the rest is just details!

I wanted to make a ship that docked at the top, and that is why the airlock is there. It actually has three doors; top, front and back. In the end though I didn't do that as I changed my mind about the base. (More on that below.) Most of these photos have been posted already, but I'll show them here for ease of reference as well as for those who didn't see them the first time.

The struts that you can see in the cargo bay are structural. I was at first going to have the ship landing gear free but I found that aside from the fact that it flexed under the weight, it prevented the door from opening. Thus I solved two problems by adding the strut and the pads. I think it looks sort of bird like... :-$ You can also see in this view the forward thrusters.

Not much to say here except that this photo was very hard to take. My room had Lego everywhere by this stage and I needed to get under a table to achive this angle. :-P

I quite like this. The idea of this gun was that it was a heavily armoured anti-personal weapon to protect crew leaving via the main hatch. Thus it was supposed to look light and boxy.

Since the vectoring thrusters are so far back I wanted a large thruster in the front. It is hard to tell in this photo, but it actually is more than just one piece. At one stage it was red but I thought it looked silly. Thus now it looks "better" but you can't see it.

You can see here that I left a void space for the thrusters. The center part is for the pilot to enter the cockpit.

Rear view of the same area. Until the last minute the bunks were where the control panels are, but I got sick of breaking the top to get the sleeping crew out. Anyone who has looked at my Impartial will notice vast simularities with the design and construction. :-$

Here you can see the triple airlock and the cargo bay. I specially designed the beams to make it easier to carry and swoosh and thus it is extra reinforced. (Halfway though the build it started breaking under the weight due to excessive swooshing so I decided to over-compensate.) In the end though I found the best way to carry it was to open the cargo bay and hold it from the bottom. It was originally my plan to suspend this while taking the photos, but I ran out of time.

I was very happy with my main engine solution. I was not happy with my anti-air guns... but the earier versions were worse. :-P (Some parts have fallen off the bottom right. I noticed them after I uploaded the photos. :-| )

I was very happy with the curved wall. It was my first time using the technique and I plan to give it another go soonish. You can also see here the bottom of the thrusters. (They do rotate but they are not stiff enough to hold in position.) They went though several re-designs and aside from the fact that I think they should be bigger I was happy with them in the end. Note the missing 2x1 plate forward of the cargo hatch; I was completely out of 2x1s at that stage! :-D

For those that are curious how I attached the wall I have partially disassembled the side so the "secret" is revealed.

The first time I saw one of the silly disc launchers I thought "It might work OK as a gun barrel". I'm still undecided. This area was complex to make as I needed to cover the axels as well as strengthen the sides. Thus it has two half stud changes.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby Siegfried » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:17 pm

On to part II! The original idea for the base was that it would be largely destroyed, thus letting me use the useless pieces! I wanted to make it look burnt out, but I wasn't able to do it convincibly enough. I then broke the base and started on a another ship, but I change my mind soon after when I realised that it wouldn't make sense for a ship like Strife to be attacking a ship in space, so I had to then rebuild my base! I then had a lot of trouble trying to find a good way to use the big orange curved pieces, but after several hours of experimenting (no joke!) I stumbled on the design that I used. That then enabled me to make the side building. At this point I decided that I had enough of a base, so I though it only fair that I gave it a defender, so I used the canopy to make a service mech that is holding a cutting torch attached to the bases fusion plant. It was hard to tell in the original photos though.

I'll start with what I didn't like. I was making this on the last day but stopped work on it when Hinckley said he was finished and sent me his photos. As I said to him at the time;
I'm taking photos now. I was going to add more minor details but there really isn't much point; our entries are very different and I can't see the additions I had planned making much difference. In short, you have made a beautifully detailed base and a small ship, and I have done a bigger ship with a similar sized but less detailed base. I think you will win, but it will come down to preference, similar to the Jipay smackdown.

Thus I stopped work on this and kept it in the background. I don't like small ships anyway...

Ahghhhgh! I looks even worse from the rear. The best part is the bottom but I didn't take any photos of that. It is now in my sorting bin! :-P

The mech is supposed to be giving the finger... but it wasn't as convincing as I hoped. :-/ (My bet is with Strife winning BTW.)

I love that head! I hope Lego sell it again.

While it is simple, I actually liked the mech. I plan to re-work it.

The previously unseen back! I planned to take photos of the base from the back but without knocking a hole in my wall it would have been hard.

I was going for the pre-fab look. The rocks behind are lame, but I didn't have any pieces left to disguse them better.

I was very happy with the accomadation block. Yes, it's a box with a whacky roof, but it's my box with a whacky roof... There is no interior. I was planning to add some but I ran out of time.

The control tower was harder that I thought, but it isn't obvious. To make the room sit on the top involved a bit of work. The quarter (?) stud gap underneath the canopy is one of the few visible signs.

...and that's all! A few more pictures are here. Overall I am happy with what I made, and the base turned out far better than I thought it would with the pieces I had left. Thanks for looking! *sweet*
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Return to MOCs