GigAlarm and Windows 8.1

Alarm / Reminder / Scheduler with hibernate and suspend resume. GigAlarm Page

Moderator: ACAPmod

GigAlarm and Windows 8.1

Postby ajergo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:02 pm

I have been using GigAlarm for a very long time and I am going to purchase a Win 8.1 PC for the first time ... never used Win 8.1 before.
Can you please tell me if GigAlarm will work OK with Windows 8.1 (64 Bit)
I am presently using GigAlarm Ver 1.35 on a Win 7 machine. Will this version work on Win 8.1 ?

Thanks.
ajergo

Re: GigAlarm and Windows 8.1

Postby Siegfried » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:15 am

ajergo wrote:I have been using GigAlarm for a very long time and I am going to purchase a Win 8.1 PC for the first time ... never used Win 8.1 before.
Can you please tell me if GigAlarm will work OK with Windows 8.1 (64 Bit)
I am presently using GigAlarm Ver 1.35 on a Win 7 machine. Will this version work on Win 8.1 ?

Thanks.

I use GigAlarm on Windows 8.1. There are no issues.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby ajergo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:00 pm

I have had lots of problems in the past. I can not longer autostart this program because at one point it updated my time to a really old date and totally screwed up my OS on boot up. Sometimes it crashes when I switch the type of display from Preview, Deleted, Large, Next Alarms, History, etc I just tried doing it now and could NOT get it to crash, but has done it in the past. If I have a lot of deleted alarms, then sometimes when I manually start the program each day, it displays a whole bunch of alarms that are not due on that day/time .... only happens on initial startup of program for the day.

I still use this program and rely on it heavily due to its terrific features and have yet to be able to find a replacement Alarm program that even comes close to GigAlarm. I wish there were more recent upgrades to this. Last time it was upgraded (and probably tested) was in 2010. And if you look at the info for this program: http://acapsoft.com/det.php?prog=GigAlarm It only says its supported up to Win 7 and not Win 8 in upper right corner of web page.

So, I still use the program, but do not have AutoStart ... have to remember each day when I boot up to manually start the program. Then I do not delete a whole bunch of alarms at once. Just change the date that the alarm will go off to some way out there future date like in the year 2030. Turned off all functions related to setting the time on my computer since that caused a massive failure for me one time last year. May have been due to something else, but I am not going to take the chance that GigAlarm is falsely setting my computer time to a very old date.

Not sure if this software has ever been completely tested in a Win 8.1 environment and have not idea if it works for Win 10 since I do not have any PC running with that.
ajergo

Postby Siegfried » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Hello!

Actually GigAlarm hasn't got any critical issues with Win10, least of all autostart. I use GigAlarm on every machine in the house, with ... rare.. crashes.

So please don't say it's not tested. I do think it has stability issues, but no more than many other programs. Why does it say "Win7"? Because that's when it was made, that's all.

However it's due for an upgrade... but it wont get that. I'll get a re-write in C++... which I'm targeting this year. There'll be a new C++ version of TwinSeek soon. It's working now, but the About box is not complete. That's it... C++ gives me similar code size and speed, but way easier maintenance.

But sorry for the silences. I've been really busy...

In regard to the Autostart I suggest disabling it, closing the options window, re-opening the options window, and then re-enabling it. Due to excessively non-aggressive policies of mine it doesn't check every time. It probably should.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby Siegfried » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:59 pm

...re-reading your EMail....

Autostart can't change your time. You must be referring to the timesync feature.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby ajergo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:11 pm

To Siegfried - I very much look forward to an upgrade to GigAlarm. Please email me if that happens.
I am still using GigAlarm on a Win 8.1 machine, but go thru great lengths when I delete alarms I only need one time. On Autostart, it use to pop up with a whole bunch of alarms on a given day (not every day) that were not suppose to pop up. Just one time it messed up the time on my PC causing major damage and hours of repair since it was a future time (way into the future, like a 5 digit year). I have never used Time Sync. Since then I have stopped using Autostart, which I miss because I have to remember each morning to manually start GigAlarm. I will start deleting alarms again the normal way; by normal way I use to use the option of "Just Once" .... use this for a lot of alarms that I only want one time, but then it had tons of deleted alarms which never actually got deleted and then starting pooping up again randomly on Autostart. BUT, will start that again now and see what happens. Have gone a long time with no issues now with GigAlarm. Will never feel safe going back to Autostart again unless you have a major upgrade. Just can not risk the time being set wrong again.

So, in summary, right now I do not have Autostart and my default new alarm setting says to just repeat the alarm in 10 years rather than saying "Just Once" and risking a whole ton of alarms popping up on startup. I will change the default alarm now to say "Just Once" again but will not use Autostart .... I have finally got in the habit of manually starting GigAlarm when I turn on my PC every morning.

Appreciate your help and will continue using this software because I can not find a single product anywhere that even comes close to all the features that you have on GigAlarm. Please let me know when its upgraded.

Thanks,
A.J.
ajergo

Return to GigAlarm