road trip, a scheduling rarity in the CFL

Off topic discussion

Moderator: ACAPmod

road trip, a scheduling rarity in the CFL

Postby lw789 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:50 am

BEREA, Ohio - Unlike most Clevelanders, Brian Hoyer didnt jump up and down or cheer when he heard the Browns drafted Johnny Manziel. Hoyer shrugged and got ready to fight for his job. "It was almost a sense of relief when he was drafted," he said, "because I knew exactly right then and there what it was going to be." Its going to be a quarterback battle unlike anything Cleveland has seen before. Hoyer, the hometown kid and incumbent starter, and Manziel — the college football superstar with the larger-than-life persona, catchy nickname and Heisman Trophy — were on the field together Wednesday, the second day of organized team activities. With roughly 60 media members lining the fields and focused on the two QBs every move, Hoyer and Manziel went through passing drills and took turns behind centre in a competition expected to last several months. Afterward, Hoyer said he and Manziel are developing a "working relationship" and joked the pair are getting along splendidly. "I was thinking about sending him a birthday card," Hoyer quipped. Hoyer, though, understands what under first-year coach Mike Pettine meant about the quarterback competition being somewhat heated. "I totally get it," he said. "I dont think were in there not being friendly. But when youre gunning for the same job, there is a little bit of an edge to it." The Browns are expecting Manziel to challenge Hoyer, who is coming off right knee surgery. The team has made it clear that Hoyer is the starter and will remain so unless Manziel can beat him out. This is nothing new to Hoyer, who tore his anterior cruciate ligament last season. Hoyer has been battling for a job since he joined the NFL, only this time hes the one that others are gunning for. "It does feel different because as of right now Im the top guy, and before Ive always been coming from behind," Hoyer said. "My mentality has never really changed." Manziel did not speak to reporters after practice, but several Browns players were asked about their famous new teammate, the scrambling magician known as Johnny Football. The former Texas A&M star fell in the first round before Cleveland traded up to take him with the No. 22 overall pick. So far, Manziel has kept his head buried in his playbook. "Johnny has done a good job of being a rookie, keeping his mouth shut," Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas said. "Rookies are supposed to be seen and not heard, which is what hes done." Hoyer waited four seasons for his chance to start. After spending three years in New England as Tom Bradys backup, he made one start in Arizona before he bounced around and signed as a free agent with Cleveland last May. Hoyer was prepared for the Browns to draft a quarterback. He never expected to be handed anything, and not once did he consider asking for a trade. "No, never," he said. "I knew, even going back to last summer, that this was the place that I wanted to be, and it ended up working out and I got back here, and then I got a chance to play. This is my hometown. This is where my familys from. This is where I want to make a difference. Ill never shy away from competition, and its something I had prepared myself for." Hoyer and Manziel each had good moments during the nearly two-hour workout, which Pettine kept open to the media after limiting access for last weeks rookie minicamp. Hoyer, wearing a knee brace but moving without any problems, made the days best pass, completing a long touchdown to wide receiver Conner Vernon. Manziels final pass got batted down, but he showed some of the moves that made him a household name. Still, hes got work to do. "Its just like any other rookie, that hes just inconsistent," Pettine said. "A lot of its the mental part of it. Hes more worrying about getting the formation right, making sure the motions correct and hes got the cadence. Then hes got to worry about where guys are. Once all that stuff becomes second nature a little bit, hell be a lot more comfortable. "He flashed some things that made him kind of who he is, the ability to make plays on his feet." NOTES: Pro Bowl WR Josh Gordon practiced as he awaits a possible league suspension. Gordon declined comment. ... WR Miles Austin said he called former Browns QB Bernie Kosar to ask for permission to wear No. 19. "I never wanted to step on anyones toes," Austin said. "I thought it was the right thing to do." ... Pettine would not discuss injuries to several players, including starting DT Ahtyba Rubin, who was not on the field. ... OG Garrett Gilkey exchanged a few punches with rookie DT Calvin Barnett, whose helmet was ripped off during the fracas. Taylor Moton Jersey . And I wanted to take this opportunity to share some of my experiences gained through International competition and the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan. Seven NHL referees and six linesmen will be assigned upcoming games in Sochi by the IIHF as part of their 28-man officiating roster comprised of 14 refs and 14 linesmen. Mario Addison Jersey . James Jones got his turn Sunday. And the lift he brought, combined with the expected playoff showings from LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, have the Heat off and running in these playoffs. http://www.thepantherslockroom.com/wome ... in-jersey/. Viewers in the Jets region can watch the game on TSN Jets at 6:30pm ct/7:30pm et. The game is also avialable on TSN Radio 1290 in Winnipeg at 7pm ct. Daeshon Hall Jersey . The Jays responded to the three-spot Detroit placed on Casey Janssen the evening before with an attack on the Tigers Achilles Heel, its bullpen, tying the game in the ninth and winning the game in the 10th. The result absolved Marcus Stroman, brilliant once again, of a tough luck loss while at the same time robbing Max Scherzer, brilliant once again, of a deserved win. Cam Newton Jersey . Join World Soccer Pickem 2014 for your chance to win $5,500 in cash prizes by picking the winner of each game all the way through to the tournament final. Will you ride a favourite such as Spain or Germany, or cast your lot with an underdog like Ivory Coast or Mexico? Perhaps key victories from Netherlands or the United States will be your key to victory.TORONTO -- Zach Collaros has shown a penchant for leading his team to comeback wins, while Adam Bighill is a headache for opposing offences week after week. They were rewarded for their consistent play Wednesday by the CFL, joining Rene Paredes and John Cornish as recipients of player of the month awards for September. Toronto quarterback Collaros took the offensive award, helping his team to a 4-0 record over the month. Not only did he ably replace injured star quarterback Ricky Ray, but all four wins were come-from-behind victories on the road. The Argos became the first team in league history to sweep a four-game road trip, a scheduling rarity in the CFL. Collaros recorded 1,043 passing yards over the month, completing 90 of 140 attempts (64.3 per cent) with eight touchdowns and three interceptions. His best performance was in Week 12 when he passed for 330 yards and threw four touchdowns in Torontos win over Calgary. B.C. linebacker Bighill earned defensive honours after posting 24 tackles, five special team tackles, two sacks, an interception, two forced fumbles and a touchdown to help the Lions clinch a playoff spot and move ahead of Saskatchewan in the West Division standings. Bighill was reccognized as defensive player of the week twice in September.dddddddddddd His best performance came in last weekends win over Winnipeg, as he recorded 10 tackles, a sack, two forced fumbles, while returning a fumble 30 yards for a touchdown. Bighill is fifth in the league in tackles with 67 and is tied for second on the Lions with five sacks on the season. Calgary kicker Paredes was named the special teams player of the month after he went 12 for 13 on field-goal attempts in September. In a Week 11 win over Edmonton, Paredes hit all five field-goal attempts, including a 50-yarder. Paredes, a product of Concordia, leads the league in kicking points with 152 and is 38 of 40 (95%) on field goals this season. Stampeders running back Cornish was named the Canadian player of the month. The New Westminster, B.C., native rushed for 398 yards on 58 carries and collected 85 yards and a touchdown on 13 receptions as Calgary went 3-1 over the month. Cornishs best performance came in the Week 11 win over Edmonton. He rushed for 131 yards on 14 carries and had six receptions for 46 yards and a touchdown. Cornish has rushed for 1,207 this season and trails league leader Kory Sheets by only 15 yards. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
lw789
ACAPregular

Return to Discussion