Egg: Automatic work/rest cycling?

Multifunction timer settable from 3 seconds up to 49 days with quad timer. Egg Page

Moderator: ACAPmod

Egg: Automatic work/rest cycling?

Postby zheard » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Egg is a great little timer! I'm using it for "time-boxing". You can read about it here: http://litemind.com/time-boxing. That's where I found out about Egg.

I'm doing this by setting two timers that are offset by a few minutes so that I can work for 20 minutes, do something else for 3 minutes, work for 20, something else for 3, etc...

Does Egg have an option I don't know about that would automatically do this 20+3 cycle? (Any user-defined cycle.)

Thanks!
JZH
zheard

Postby Siegfried » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:55 am

Thanks for the link! Egg currently can't do pre-defined patterns... but our program Secs can! At one stage we were trying to simplify Egg, and we created Secs to enable us to satisfy user wishes for more features. However, this was never a popular idea so Egg started to receive more and more small upgrades. Eventually, due to a semi-related project, the Quad Timer function was added to Egg and we gave up on the concept of a simple Egg, adding instead the "Simple" mode. However, the end result is that Secs is better than Egg in some ways. We will be adding most of these functions to Egg, but since Secs works very differently to Egg internally it isn't as easy as it might seem!
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby zheard » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:11 am

Thanks Siegfried.

Is it possible for me to 'trade in' Egg for Secs somehow? The repeating pattern is really what I want.
JZH
zheard

Postby Siegfried » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Sorry, but we are unable to do exchanges due to the nature of our products; we cannot force you to delete the old code if we issue another. However, don't let it be said that we can't be accommodating. Today we have added to Egg two new modes; MutEx and Series. In MutEx only one timer is allowed to run at one time. If you start another, the current one stops. Series is the same, but in addition if a timer is set to repeat it will start the next instead, or the first if it was the last. You can download a non-installing version from here.

Thus, if you set Egg to Double, set timer A to 20 minutes, set timer B to 3 minutes, enable Series and then start either timer A or B Egg should do what you want. Please test it and say what you think!
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby zheard » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Sweet!

Just tried the Series mode and it's exactly what I was looking for. Nice work! Did you work on that all day?

Thanks Siegfried...
Zane
JZH
zheard

Postby Siegfried » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:46 am

Thanks for the great news. An installing version is now on the beta page. But no, it didn't take all day; about 3 hours was needed to add these features. As I said earlier, a different solution to the way Secs handles this was needed due to the internal differences. Taking advantage of the multiple timers was the smarter (and faster) option.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Return to Egg