iTimeSync 1.401 Released

The Lastest and Greatest from ACAPsoft!

Moderator: ACAPmod

iTimeSync 1.401 Released

Postby Siegfried » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:58 pm

The first Beta of iTimeSync v1.4 is on the site and can be downloaded from here. The main thrust of this version is the ability for it to be translated, but the offset function has been enhanced as well. We should have a German text for download at release time, or slightly after. A license to all version 1.x programs is on offer to anyone who makes a translated version of iTimeSync; for full details refer to the ReadMe.

It has been decided that the next version of iTimeSync (aside from any bug fix versions) will be v2.0. Please note that iTimeSync 1.x codes will not work in iTimeSync 2.x. Any one who registered after March 08 or is a Site license holder will receive free new codes upon request. Other uses might be eligible for upgrade discounts. This version might be done this year, but there is no fixed schedule at this stage.

This version is scheduled to be released on around the 7th of May.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Re: iTimeSync 1.4 Beta Available

Postby mlamson » Sun May 04, 2008 6:28 am

I'm not sure what you meant by "iTimeSync 1.x codes will not work in iTimeSync 2.x". Does it mean that people who bought the original Sinner Computing iTimeSync won't get any more free updates after 2.0?
mlamson

Upgrades

Postby Siegfried » Sun May 04, 2008 11:22 am

mlamson wrote:I'm not sure what you meant by "iTimeSync 1.x codes will not work in iTimeSync 2.x". Does it mean that people who bought the original Sinner Computing iTimeSync won't get any more free updates after 2.0?

In short, the last free upgrade will probably be the next one, but we don't rule out another. We will still make bugfixes as needed for the last version 1.x, but we will not be offering free upgrades to 2.0 for most users. iTimeSync has been upgraded substantially over the last five years so we feel it is reasonable to make a division here. After all, many companies charge for upgrades all the time, and charge a lot more than we do as well. We will probably just ask for a $3-5 upgrade fee to compensate our time when re-issuing what will probably be hundreds (and possibly thousands) of codes in a short space of time. It's very possible that most users will simply not pay to upgrade as their version will suit their needs already, and we are happy with that as well.

Do you think we are being unfair? Nothing is set in stone at this stage, and this upgrade will probably not happen until 2009 anyway.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Re: iTimeSync 1.4 Beta Available

Postby mlamson » Mon May 05, 2008 1:02 am

It's certainly a wonderful utility, and Andrew does a great job with that assembly coding. I thought when I bought it that it was a one time charge - but who could complain about a $7 product with $3-5 upgrades that keeps my home network time-synced? Keep up the good work. [BTW, I've always wondered why a $1000 personal computer set to the correct time can't maintain the time setting the same way a $5/60Hz/120v alarm clock does]
mlamson

Postby Siegfried » Mon May 05, 2008 7:48 am

mlamson wrote:I thought when I bought it that it was a one time charge - but who could complain about a $7 product with $3-5 upgrades that keeps my home network time-synced?

We decided back in 2005 that could be a possibility.
Code: Select all
http://web.archive.org/web/20050403191059/http://sinnercomputing.com/FAQ.htm##Licenses

But it is good to hear that you don't consider it unfair.
mlamson wrote:[BTW, I've always wondered why a $1000 personal computer set to the correct time can't maintain the time setting the same way a $5/60Hz/120v alarm clock does]

I'm not sure if you really want this question answered, but I think that's because many clock radios use the oscillation of the line voltage to count seconds, while the average motherboard uses a crystal. Thus, unless your room is the exact right temperature, line voltage is going to be a far more stable reference source...
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby Siegfried » Sun May 11, 2008 4:24 pm

It has been released. Please note that while this version is translatable, there are no extra languages included at this stage. There is a German version being worked on, but it needs substantial tweaking before it is ready. (If you speak German and want to give it a go anyway, simply download the linked file, unzip, and then copy it to the Data or Program directory.)
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Postby Siegfried » Tue May 13, 2008 1:41 pm

The translated German Strings.txt file is ready. You can download it from the iTimeSync download page.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

iTimeSync 1.401 Released

Postby Siegfried » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:12 pm

We try to regularly re-visit programs so they can be viewed with "fresh eyes" and in one of these checks two minor text errors were noticed. There are no other changes in this version so there is no need to upgrade.
Siegfried
ACAPadmin
ACAPadmin

Return to Recent Releases