Most file encryptors use methods that rely on the theory of computational security, that is the difficulty of key factorisation prevents decryption of the file. But this method may not work forever. It used to be considered that a 56 bit key was unbreakable to brute force attacks, but the government of the USA now requires all Top Secret data to use keys of at least 192 bits. This bar will keep raising as computing power increases. (It is argued by some though that this will never happen due to the laws of physics!) CryptIt is designed to use conventional XOR encryption on keys that are the same size as the file to be encrypted. Furthermore, if you use an unpredictable file that is the same size (or larger) than the original file and you use this file only once, this is known as a one-time pad and it is completely unbreakable, even to computers 1000 years from now. This is because there is no algorithm at all, just a big key, and thus there is no pattern to follow once you have decrypted any part of the file. Thus attempts to decrypt it could result in any file, and there would be no way to verify that it has decrypted correctly. CryptIt can also has some convenience features such as being able to automatically use pad files generated by our program GigAlarm, generate key files (from a stream cipher and thus not best for OTP usage) and also analyse the suitability of your chosen key file.
Please note that this program is for advanced users. If you are looking for easy encryption we recommend that you look elsewhere. If you need a key file generator we include one in our program GigAlarm. (CryptIt will work without GigAlarm.)
- Extremely fast; can XOR a CD of data in under 2 minutes on most systems.
- Two modes of operation; one XOR is more simple and secure, the other Classic has more features and is slightly less secure because it needs a set file type and structure for it to work.
- Classic mode has the ability to save the key filename and add descriptions, other than that it is the same as XOR mode.
- CryptIt can use several key sources;
- A file that you supply.
- A RC4 stream cipher generated by CryptIt.
- Random key data generated by our program GigAlarm. In this mode (KeyStore) just the required key data will be taken. Due to the speed of the GigAlarm key generator this function is only suitable for small files.
- Any of the above organised onto a removable media device (such as a USB drive, CD, floppy) with a specially designed index.
- CryptIt can also test your selected key and give advice on its suitability for encrypting your file.
- Multi-user setups are supported and CryptIt will run without any problems on a low privilege login and Windows Vista.
- CryptIt is written in 100% Assembly Language and is very small and memory efficient. The program itself is around 50KB!
- CryptIt can be run from a USB key and does not even need to be installed. Simply select "Extract" from the installer and then copy "CryptIt.exe" wherever you want! Our installer also supports installation on Window Vista without UAC prompts, as well as installation on low privilege logins.
30 Day Unlimited Free Trial!
I looked for a special encryption, named Vernam Cipher or Xoring, and found CryptIt. Mr Glina expanded CryptIt to my personal wishes and made it a very fast program. There are a few freeware programs which do Xoring, but they can not compete with CryptIt. It is almost perfect. (Almost as I believe there is nothing perfect.)